Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens (PMG) has an opening for a part-time Garden Guide position for Saturdays, Sundays and some weekdays beginning February 2017. Garden Guides represent PMG, a non-traditional museum and visionary art environment located at 10th and South Street. Garden Guides are responsible for providing an excellent visitor experience, interpreting the artwork for the public, and assisting in maintenance of the space. They are integral to the operation of PMG by opening/closing the museum, interpreting the history and artworks of PMG for visitors, assisting with special events and exhibitions, and performing basic site maintenance.
Garden Guides’ hours vary from 16-32 hours per week, and staff is expected to be punctual and presentable at all times. This Garden Guide position is required to work Saturdays and Sundays. PMG’s regular open hours are Wednesday – Monday 11:00 AM – 6:00 PM. The museum is closed to the public on Tuesdays. Guides are often needed for evening public and private events. This position starts at $11/hour.
- Serve as a visitor services representative by greeting guests enthusiastically and informing the public of the history of PMG and Isaiah Zagar
- Operate and perform all register duties including selling tickets, merchandise, artwork, memberships, processing tour reservations, etc.
- Open and close Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens, ensuring that all procedures are completed as outlined in the Staff Procedures Manual and a daily checklist
- Protect and care for the site throughout the shift performing light site maintenance and notifying visitors of preservation policies
- Lead daily Site and Walking tours for student and adult groups
- Communicate with visitors, community partners, and staff in person, on the telephone, and via emails as needed
- Communicate with management staff for feedback, questions, concerns, and problems that occurred during shifts
- Assist the exhibitions coordinator with exhibition installation including preparing and painting walls, hanging works, and labeling artworks
- Assist with execution of public events such as our Twilight in the Gardens series, our monthly Family Jams, our Garden Sips series, as well as some private events
Qualifications / Requirements:
- 1 -2 years of related customer/ visitor services experience
- Previous sales/cash handling experience
- Knowledge of visual arts and art history preferred
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite
- Experience with Blackbaud or Altru preferred
- Spanish fluency preferred
- Some light lifting and physical labor occasionally required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- A positive and friendly disposition
- Ability to provide excellent visitor service
Please send a single document with your cover letter, resume, and availability to email@example.com, with a subject of: Garden Guide Position. Applications will be reviewed as soon as they are received. Interviews will be conducted on a rolling basis for employment beginning January 2017. No phone calls, please.
Education Level: College level preferred