Philadelphia’s Magic Gardens (PMG) has an opening for a part-time Garden Guide. PMG is an immersive mixed media art environment that is completely covered with mosaics. The space is made up of two indoor galleries and a bi-level outdoor sculpture garden. As a nonprofit museum, PMG celebrates art in its many forms through community outreach, public programs, hands-on activities, exhibitions, and tours. We welcome everyone to explore the space and embrace the possibility of self-expression.
Garden Guides are integral to the daily operation of PMG and responsible for opening/closing the museum, welcoming visitors, interpreting the history and artwork of PMG, assisting with events and exhibitions, and protecting the site by enforcing PMG policies.
- Serve as a visitor services representative by greeting guests enthusiastically
- Engage with visitors and eagerly share information about PMG
- Operate and perform all register duties including sales of general admission, event tickets, merchandise, membership, and artwork
- Assist with daily procedures for opening and closing PMG
- Protect and maintain the site throughout the shift so that no trash, debris, or damaged materials are present
- Prevent visitors from damaging the artwork by routinely walking through the site and enforcing PMG policies
- Lead tours, including site and walking tours, to groups of all ages
- Communicate clearly to visitors, community partners, and staff by responding to questions, answering phone calls, and writing detailed emails as needed
- Communicate with administrative staff about feedback, questions, or concerns that occurred during shifts
- Assist with public events, such as our live music series (Twilight in the Gardens) or our happy hour (Garden Party)
- Assist with exhibition installation
- Perform other duties as assigned within the scope of responsibilities and requirements of the position
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Positive, patient, and friendly disposition
- Ability to provide excellent visitor service
- Strong organizational, interpersonal, and communication skills
- Attention to detail
- 1 -2 years of related customer/visitor services experience
- Previous sales/cash handling experience
- Spanish or French fluency preferred
- Experience with Blackbaud/Altru preferred
- Ability to lift objects up to 30 pounds and stand outside for long periods of time
- Weekend and occasional evening work required
- A background check and child abuse clearances will be required of the successful candidate
Hours and Compensation:
$12/hour for 16-32 hours per week. Weekend availability is needed in addition to at least one weekday. Hours will vary and some evening availability is needed for occasional public events.
PMG’s standard open hours are Monday, Wednesday – Sunday 11:00 AM – 6:00 PM. The museum is closed to the public every Tuesday.
Please send a single document with your cover letter, resume, and availability to email@example.com with the heading “Garden Guide.” Applications will be reviewed as they are received. No phone calls, please.